Those who should try a meal delivery service:
• If you’re trying to eat healthier and are overwhelmed by the recipes you come across, this is for you. The fresh ingredients are delivered to your door, along with nutritional information and easy-to-follow recipe cards. All you have to do is cook it.
• Love to cook but hate to meal plan and grocery shop? We get it! Figuring out what to eat, day after day, followed by the drudgery of the grocery store is exhausting. And how often do you overbuy items you don’t need? This saves time and stress.
• It’s just the two of you. Many people would like to see recipe options that take into account a 1 to 2-person household. Meal delivery solves that problem.
• If you juggle long work hours with tending to children and running errands, you deserve a break. There’s a huge sense of relief with meal delivery handling all the planning and shopping for dinner.
• You have a busy week ahead. Meal delivery offers flexibility in what you want, as well as when and how often.
• If you like trying new recipes and want to venture out and start cooking with new fresh ingredients, it’s a wonderful choice.
• Trying to dine in more? Eating out at restaurants several times a week can be a challenge to your waistline and your wallet. Meal delivery offers well-balanced, healthy, delicious dinners that are restaurant quality. If you dine out often, you might actually be saving money.
Those who shouldn’t bother with meal delivery:
• You’re completely focused on getting the best prices on food. Meal delivery offers reasonable prices but it’s likely you can get a lower price on ingredients by shopping the stores yourself.
• If you’re a picky eater and tend to have issues with new recipes and cuisines, then you might not have a good experience.
• For those with strict dietary restrictions or who need to eliminate certain food groups, options are limited.
• You have no desire to cook. While the recipes and ingredients are provided, you still need to put it together. This means prep work like dicing onions and chopping garlic, as well as the actual cooking part. If this is your only issue, we still encourage you to give it a try because cooking is a huge part of a healthy lifestyle!
Noteworthy meal delivery services to try:
• Garnish and Gather and Peach Dish. These services are local and provide great Southern meal recipes!
• Sun Basket, Purple Carrot and Green Chef. These are super healthy meal services offering organic and non-GMO ingredients along with paleo, vegetarian, and family meal kit options.
• Blue Apron, Plated, Delish, Home Chef. These are similar to Hello Fresh with a variety of options and flexibility.
Make life easier with meal delivery
Everyone loves food! Well, maybe not everyone, but most people have a deep appreciation for food. Eating great meals has a timely price, and in this day and age, free time is becoming somewhat of a rare commodity. That’s where meal delivery services come in. Simply order meals online and the correct amount of food ingredients is delivered to your door with easy and detailed step-by-step instructions. All you need on hand is salt, pepper, butter and oil. And, of course, tools and an oven.
Obviously, there are tons of meal delivery options and, for the most part, all follow the same concept. They put together the meal plan and mail you the recipes with ingredients and instructions. It’s a fun way to push your chef skills and learn new ways to prepare tasty, healthful meals.
We chose Hello Fresh for the high reviews it has been given by customers and critics. This meal delivery service offers three plans: classic (the most popular with the largest variety of recipes), veggie (great for someone working on becoming vegetarian) and family (ideal for larger families). You also select the delivery date.
We opted for the two-person, three meals a week plan Classic Box, selecting Hot Honey Barbeque Chicken Legs with a Charred Poblano, Corn and Sweet Potato Salad; Mediterranean Baked Veggies with Couscous, Almonds and Feta; and Seared Sirloin Steak and Shallot Demi-Glacé with Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes and Green Salad.
Our order arrived as scheduled, well-packed and with everything nice and cold. We were excited to start cooking, knowing we had all the ingredients and wouldn’t need to go grocery shopping! We got the recipe cards, coupons for other meals, and all the food was in an insulated cooler bag with dry ice on the bottom. Each meal came in its own bag with detailed instructions and beautiful pictures. You can also go to hellofresh.com for help along the way.
Here’s what our finished meals looked like. Impressive, right?
All in all, we were super pleased with Hello Fresh. The ingredients were fresh and proportionally sized. We did have to prep the food, which included dicing and chopping. Having a good cooking oil, butter, salt and pepper is a must in preparing some of these meals. The recipes are classic, but not boring. We liked that we recognized the ingredients, but also got introduced to new foods we probably wouldn’t purchase on our own.
Here’s why meal delivery is popping up everywhere:
1) Eat great without the high cost. Meal delivery expands your culinary horizons, allowing you to explore foods you normally wouldn’t cook. Better yet, you’ll find out that eating a gourmet dinner is not out of reach and, in as little as 30 minutes, you can have your own 5-star meal.
2) Cook like a pro, the easy way. Simply choose the recipes and meal plan, and all ingredients, in their exact amounts, are delivered to your door. The easy-to-follow recipes are designed by top-notch chefs, who show you the simplest way to cook like them.
3) Experience exotic foods. You’ll get an opportunity to try truly exotic dishes from all corners of the globe, complete with the how-to needed to make it perfectly. For many, switching to a meal delivery service completely changed their mind on cuisines they once thought they didn’t like.
4) Reclaim your free time. People often give up on eating well because of their limited free time. When the choice is between a nice dinner or spending time with loved ones, most choose family. With meal-kit delivery, you won’t have to choose anymore. It saves you time in all aspects of cooking, from shopping to preparing to the cooking itself, thanks to the detailed step-by-step instructions included.
5) Eat healthy. Most meals come with detailed nutritional information and appropriate portion sizes.